Sunday, August 23, 2009

Nightowl On Board

The scene: the living room of a quiet house, everyone asleep but me.  My favorite time of day.  Tommy Petty and the Heartbreakers hits playing.  I have one window open, a blessing of cool air coming in, following a number of hot, humid nights when the AC was a necessity. 

I've been piddling around trying to define what it is I want to do with myself: artistically, life-wise, in writing.  I've been floundering around lately.  I keep coming back to one theme in all of those areas: living a simple life in a sustainable way.  Making art from what I already have on hand or from recycled/reclaimed materials.  Writing about things I know, things I'm passionate about, things that interest me.  Oh, and one other thing: laughing.  Laughing at life's absurdities.  Laughing at myself.  Laughing about the things we all come across every day that are just plain funny or ridiculous, whimsical, or that tickle our funny bones for whatever reason.  Because if I can't laugh at something, then I've lost my perspective and my compass.  God likes humor.  Really. 

So I think I've got something here that will give me a jumping off place for my art and writing and just possibly keep me sane.  Although I'm not entirely committed to that sane thing.  HEHE.

Nightowl out.  Sleep tight, yall.

2 comments:

Wander to the Wayside said...

Hi! I came here from On the Front Porch, because your comment about the video making you sad caught my attention! I'm 61, so it really did make me feel old, but so glad that I lived thru all those eras! I've read a few of your posts, and think I'll be coming back. So many bloggers lately are talking about trying to find themselves, trying to figure out what to do with the rest of their lives, me among them. And I've said almost the same thing on my blog, that I'm wanting to share this life journey with those who share the same and different experiences and ideas regarding this journey we're all on, no matter what the age.

Bonnie said...

Welcome,Linda, and thank you so much for your comment! This part of life is so challenging, and oh my, you've given me another idea for discussion. I'll be hopping by your blog for a read later on! And I hope you'll enjoy what you find here...enough to come back often!