Monday, August 24, 2009

Today we (DH, girlchild, & me) went to our local antique mall, just a short drive down the road from our house, and spent a very pleasant couple of hours browsing.  It's funny, so many of the "antiques" there were things I recognize from my childhood!  OMG, I must be an antique too!  Strangely, I don't find that too disturbing.  Girlchild and I spent quite a bit of time going through the vintage clothing, especially hats.  She is into hats big time, and for a paltry 5 bucks she left with a cute little white fur hat and she was THRILLED.  She will feel so special wearing her pretty fur hat this winter...she is very into the Gothic Lolita look that is very popular in Japan, in fact she would love to go to Japan and work for Tokyo Pop someday.  At age 12, she is something.  Really something.  I'm proud of her.

I left with a little doily for $4.00.  It has a significant stain that I didn't notice so much till I got it home, but that doesn't diminish its humble charm one little bit, as far as I'm concerned.  It looks to me that it's hand-tatted by someone, and that is worthy of my respect.  Besides, I bought it to put bits of it into artwork, and it will serve nicely for that.  Here it is:

 
  
I've been saving all kinds of velvet, velveteen, and velour clothing over the years from Girlchild's outgrown clothing, and something in that pile is going to call me, I know it.  So my little doily was a good find.
Time for sleep.  I'm behind in my reading, since the latest issue of Cloth Paper Scissors arrived in the mail 2 days ago.  I can barely sleep after I read it!  My head will be so full of ideas it'll be hard to drop off...but try I must.  
Night, yall.

3 comments:

Sarah said...

That is a lovely find! I have a beautiful lace trimmed delicate handkerchief that I intened to use in something but I can't bring myself to cut it!

Bonnie said...

I hear you on that, Sarah. I have a beautiful hankerchief that has a handpainted design on it that I'm afraid to do anything with, it's too gorgeous! Sheesh. ;)

Sarah said...

Snap then! Thanks for all your lovely comments-especially the jack of all trades one-I appreciate that! Will be back to visit soon.