Saturday, August 29, 2009

The Reality of Life, or I Take On More Than I Can Handle

I have been spending a great deal of time immersing myself in a world that I've ignored far too long.  I'm talking about the fast-moving world of online business and publishing.  Back in the dark ages of the internet, I was fairly savvy.  Then I put my attention on raising a grandchild, which of course was and is way more important than keeping up with the internet world and its evolution.  Now that my granddaughter is in middle school and a bit more independent, I'm ready to take another dip in the pool, so to speak.  

Holy smokes.  

I am, to say the least, overwhelmed.  I've spent quite a bit of time over the past two weeks learning about blogging, reading lots of other people's blogs, admiring all the gadgets, backgrounds, awards, and followers they have.  I've also been creating and stocking a shop on Etsy.com with my fiber art and dolls, and trying to learn about all the tools they have to promote a shop, all the ways to connect with other sellers, what questions to ask, etc.  It's fair to say that I feel like the proverbial babe in the woods...in a distinctly middle-aged way.   

It occurs to me that I need to clearly define what it is I want to accomplish here.  In the spirit of using what I have, I want to use my talents with fiber and textiles to contribute more to my family's income.  This is especially true now that the economy has changed so radically for the worse.  Things are tight.  For a number of years, my DH has been a freelance writer, and his income has suffered in recent months; we've had some scary moments, although his markets do seem to be recovering very slowly.  This change in our cash flow has made me feel that I was resting on my laurels by not selling my work.  I have felt a certain urgency to help.  

At the same time, I no longer work outside the home because I'm unable to do so.  I do have disability income, so I am already contributing, but I feel a sense of responsibility to do more.  Trying to balance that against some very real physical limitations on my time and energy is difficult - I used to be a lot more active than I can be now, and it's hard not to throw myself into projects the same way I used to - in my mind I'm still the same woman I was then.  All too often, I set goals for myself so high that they are impossible to reach in the time and energy I have available.  I did that even before I got sick, although less often.  But all that happens when I overextend myself is that I wind up frustrated - with myself for not being able to achieve what I want when I want, leading to anger, guilt, and an inordinate amount of self-castigation.  So...

My mantra for today is going to be "use what you have" as it applies to my physical and emotional limits.  Driving myself nuts will not lead to success, by any definition.

Nightowl, over and out.

8 comments:

Wander to the Wayside said...

What illness do you have, Bonnie?

Bonnie said...

Chronic fatigue syndrome, diabetes, and a few splashes of other things. I've been out of the working world since 1997; two months after my first diagnosis, I brought my 3-month-old granddaughter home and she's been here ever since.

Sarah said...

I hope it all works out for you. It is not easy so take it slowly!

Bonnie said...

thank you Sarah:) it works most of the time, i was having a spontaneous menopausal meltdown day!

yoborobo said...

Bonnie - if I can do this on-line selling thing, then you can! LOL! Just take baby steps, or you will get overwhelmed. :) You need to get an etsy badge for your blog, so we can all click through to your shop! I'm trying to remember where I got mine - maybe on the "promoting your site" part of etsy? Maybe someone out there in Blog World (HAALLLOOOOO!!!!) can help? If I remember, I'll give you a shout. Hang tough! xo Pam

Bonnie said...

Pam, I found the badge for etsy in the seller's section, I believe under resources or something. I got me one, and thank you for the reminder. You're quite right, baby steps...I am not the world's most patient person! I want it all right now! LOL! But I am learning, and hearing from other folks like you helps a great deal. (hugs) B.

libbyquilter said...

what an interesting synchronicity to have bumbled into your new blog (via a comment that you left on another realms space). your words have so struck a cord with me.
"use what you have" is one of my favorite ways to make art but i've not applied it to my physical and emotional well being before . . . and i certainly would benefit by doing so~!!!~ i retired roughly a year ago due to m.s. and have had a very difficult time trying to accept that i MUST live my life at a slower pace in order to maintain any semblance of health on a continued basis. i can see by reading this post that you do understand so your words really mean something to me. thank you.
i plan on adding you to my list of favorite blogs and hope that we can offer each other something in the way of creative and personal growth.

:)
libbyQ

Bonnie said...

hi libby, and welcome:) i'm glad that you found my blog and that this post struck a chord with you. i know i've struggled with this issue of having to pace myself and let some things go...literally for years now. it never goes away, although i have gotten better at dealing with my stubbornness! having a physical limitation forces me to identify what is most important to me and let the rest go, or at least let it wait. i think our society pushes the philosophy that more is better and that we can do/have/be it all. well, we can't. but that doesn't mean life isn't good. we could all do with a good bit more simplicity in our lives.

i look forward to seeing more of you!

bonnie